The Florida Lions Eye Clinic, in Bonita Springs, is a not-for profit organization that provides low income and uninsured clients access to free eye care and assistance with prescription glasses. The Clinic serves over 2,000 patients and performs nearly 100 surgeries each year. Generally, patients reside in Lee and Collier counties in Florida. The Clinic is looking for a part-time or full-time paid Optometrist for our staff who has interest and dedication in working with a needy patient population. The patients are very appreciative for the care they receive at our clinic. This position offers interesting pathology and a referral system to Ophthalmologists. The clinic has a Monday through Friday schedule. There are presently many volunteer Ophthalmologists and Optometrists at the clinic and the three exam rooms include equipment such as Humphrey Visual Field test, Air-Puff tonometry, OCT and fundus photography.
Position Description for the Optometrist
- Perform vision tests and analyze results
- Diagnose sight problems, such as myopia or hyperopia, astigmatism, and various eye diseases
- Prescribe eyeglasses and medications
- Evaluate patients for the presence of diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. Refer patients to other healthcare providers as needed
- Keep updated and accurate medical records for all patients
- Refer eye doctors and Ophthalmologists when patients need to undergo a surgery or in cases of severe eye injuries
- Take detailed medical histories for all patients, including current and past prescription medications
- Evaluate eye-related symptoms, such as discharge, redness and inflammation
- Prescribe corrective lenses when required
- Applied understanding of general principles of optometry and best practices for the diagnosis and treatment of eye-related disorders and conditions
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate to patients of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- General computer proficiency
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and multitasking ability
- Doctor of Optometry (OD) degree from accredited optometry program
- Active state optometry license
- Two+ years of optometrist experience preferred
This position reports to the Florida Lions Eye Clinic Medical Director and Clinic Executive Director.
Application Process: To apply, submit a resume and cover letter briefly addressing your experiences and qualifications for this position.