Non-profit organization is seeking an Optometrist, licensed to practice in Charlotte, NC, to work part time or full time.
The non-profit provides free eye exams and free glasses to students in low-income communities to give them every chance to succeed in school and in life. The program was founded in Los Angeles in 2012 and has since expanded to schools in over 180 cities throughout areas of California, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Virginia, Georgia, New Jersey, and now North Carolina.
80% of all learning during a child’s first 12 years is obtained through vision and is consequently one of the most basic problems standing in the way of educational achievement. About 15% of children in low-income communities lack the glasses they need to see the board, read a book, study math or participate in class. According to UCLA researchers, 96% of all first graders who need glasses do not have them. Low-income and minority students are disproportionately affected.
This non-profit has made examined over 100,000 students and provided over 92,000 children with free glasses. They partner with school districts to provide eye exams to children in low-income communities with unmet needs for glasses. Their mobile eye clinics arrive at the school on a pre-scheduled date, and they see an average of 25 students daily on our mobile clinic.
Key position responsibilities:
- Provide primary vision evaluations: check VA’s, assess binocular vision, perform a full refraction and prescribe appropriate correction, and assess ocular health
- Prescribe vision devices, tests patient on all applicable equipment to determine the most suitable for his/her condition, and instruct patient in the proper use of it
- Confirm that patient diagnosis is properly documented in the internal systems
- As the position will work on a mobile clinic, must be flexible to commute throughout Charlotte
- Successful track record of working with children
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Must pass Department of Justice background check (LiveScan) and drug test
- Experienced using EMR systems. Microsoft Office experience as plus
- Successful candidates will have a proven track record for success, with positive, proactive attitudes who are dedicated to our mission.
This is a very rewarding position for the right person! These optometrists are truly making a difference in children's lives that will impact their present and future. They are a rapidly growing organization, so team players are critical to our collective success.
Please, if you are interested and want to be apart of this dynamic team, apply now!