Works under minimal supervision of optometrist to provide service in optical shop of Department of Ophthalmology, including inventory control, sales, ordering of glasses, frames, and other optical supplies, pricing, and sales promotion.
- Maintains inventory level of glasses and frames in a variety of styles and price ranges. Orders glasses, frames, and supplies.
- Assists in decision making on pricing and sales promotions.
- Designs and adapts lenses and frames in accordance with written prescriptions and patients’ vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Recommends lenses for safety and efficiency; assists patients in selecting appropriate frames according to style and color, coordinating them with patients facial and eye measurements.
- Fits glasses by measuring bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, and optical center of eyes.
- Prepares work orders for grinding lenses and fabricating spectacles.
- Verifies exactness of finished spectacles. Adjusts frames and lens positions to fit patients by heating, shaping, or bending frames. Instructs patients as to correct wear and care of glasses.
- Maintains patients’ optical records as well as inventory and bookkeeping records.
- Assists management with day to day oversight of Optical Department staff; assigns daily job duties and breaks, maintains appropriate levels of inventory, and monitors sales and referrals reports. Ensures that all patients are receiving first-class customer service.
- Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: (a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; (b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; (c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or (d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Registered and/or certified by American Board of Opticians. Minimum three (3) years Optician experience and two (2) years supervisory experience in an Optical or Optometric setting.
- Prior experience with OfficeMate software preferred.
- Retail optometric experience preferred.
- Must be proficient in ocular anatomy and disease process.
- Completion of a Para-Optometric certification course preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Work requires exercise of considerable judgment in application of procedures, techniques, or practices to work/problems.
- Work requires personal contacts with patients, frame vendors, optical laboratories, and employees of other departments.
- Work is performed in general office environment.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
To learn more or to apply, please go to: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/job/11068798/sr-optician-ophthalmology- dallas-tx/#job-description
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.