With general supervision, plan, organize, prioritize and monitor workflow in the unit. Supervise, train and evaluate staff to achieve and maintain department standards.
- Coordinate with other units/departments to facilitate special requests, resolve workflow or production issues.
- Adhere to the equipment maintenance program to ensure all repairs are completed and preventative maintenance schedules followed.
- Responsible for maintenance functions to include development and management of preventive maintenance schedules as well as overseeing and/or performing equipment repairs.
- Assist in the development of unit budget, monitor unit expenses to ensure unit costs are within established levels.
- Develop and implement approved training plans to ensure employees receive appropriate information and instruction.
- Assign, distribute and monitor work of the unit personnel ensuring consistent, accurate and timely processing to ensure department standards are met.
- Assist in the development of the unit’s marketing strategies.
- Develop, maintain and monitor unit standards, processes and procedures to ensure efficient, accurate and measurable processing.
- Ensure effective communications are maintained within the unit and externally. Where appropriate inform employees as to plans and progress. Conduct employee discussion sessions at regular intervals.
- Participate in the hiring and interviewing process for open positions within the unit ensuring that the most qualified candidates are selected.
- Monitor the performance of direct reports. Provide prompt and objective coaching and counseling. Conduct performance reviews.
Typically has the following skills or abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2 years of leadership experience in a business-related environment
- Minimum of 2 years of functional experience
- Experience working with and repairing laboratory-related equipment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to develop and communicate procedures and plans and to communicate with business clients and staff
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Ability to analyze work processes.