Our Team of Ophthalmologists/ Optometrists are seeking a qualified candidate to assist them in providing quality eye care. We are looking for an Ophthalmic Assistant/ Technician with skills in the following areas: Vision, applanation, pupils, dilation and excellent patient care skills.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Provides preparation of the patient for ophthalmic test and evaluations, and/or education ensuring quality patient services.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS: Needs to have the following general technical skills:
- History taking and Patient Assessment: Includes a full medical and ophthalmological patient history with Current Medications, Allergies and Review of patient general medical history (surgeries, review of systems), Chief Complaint and pain assessment.
- Visual acuity testing: Distance and Near evaluation, Pinhole
- Pupil assessment prior to dilation
- Refractometry and Refinement (phoropter, trial frames and autorefractor), Vertex Distance Measurement
- Tonometry: Goldmann Applanation, Tonopen Applanation
- Dilation assessment: including anterior chamber depth assessment
- General strabismus evaluation: including EOM evaluation, Stereo Evaluation and Color Vision examination using Ishihara Color Plates
- Special testing: pachymetry, topography, external Photography, BAT and Glare testing
- Special testing (Optional): OCT, Fundus Photography, Goldmann Visual Fields, Humphrey Visual Fields
- Ability to plan and organize each patient examination you
- Perform to ensure the correct testing process is used
- Following clinic standards and prerequisites.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both written and orally.
- Ability to work with all departments and personnel levels.
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Clinical settings. Exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to an ophthalmic clinic environment. Potential for injury is limited when proper safety and health precautions are followed.
Requires decision making ability to perform a clinical evaluation determining the appropriate exam needed for the patient’s work up in correlation with their chief complaint. Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand conditions. Occasional stressful connections, irregular hours.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.