General Description (Purpose and Function):
Assists Ophthalmologist by testing and measuring eye function to diagnose and treat eye disorders and disease.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Patient work-up and preliminary testing including:
• Assisting Ophthalmologist by testing and measuring eye function to diagnose and treat eye disorders and disease.
• Tests patient's far acuity, near acuity, peripheral vision, depth perception, and color perception.
• Examines eye for abnormalities.
• Applies drops to anesthetize, dilate, or medicate eyes.
• Measures intraocular pressure of eyes.
• Tests patient's field of vision, including central and peripheral vision, for defects.
• Performs other tests and measurements as requested by physician.
• Documents patient histories and gives instructions to patients concerning eye care.
• Performs technical workups and special testing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Knowledge of eye anatomy and physiology.
• Knowledge of eye disease and systemic diseases that affect the eye.
• Knowledge of ophthalmic equipment and its proper care and usage.
• Ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing).
• Knowledge of computers and excellent typing, oral and written communications skills along with electronic medical records.
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
2 or 4 year degree preferable
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- Three years of relevant work experience required.
- Bilingual preferred