DEPARTMENT: Business Office
REPORTS TO: Administrator
JOB SUMMARY: This individual is responsible for billing, follow-up and collections of all insurance claims; maintaining correspondence with carriers, and documentation regarding same; working with supervisor of the accounts receivable department to review problem accounts and identify necessary action to be taken.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Two years minimum experience in medical office; billing and collections experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Strong organization skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent follow-up skills.
- Management of multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Work as a team player by demonstrating ability to work well and get along with co-workers.
- Files, reviews, and follows up on insurance claims.
- Corrects and/ or writes appeals on denials.
- Follows up on delinquent insurance claims.
- Follows up on and corrects problems with billing.
- Assists patients with billing problems to include office, hospital, laboratory, and other office billing problems.
- Answer billing inquiries from patients, insurance companies, and attorneys via telephone and written correspondence.
- Assist with collection activities in an efficient manner.
- Obtain pertinent reports as requested.
- Apply knowledge of various insurance plans.
- Able to obtain an authorization or precert if required.
- Checks accuracy for insurance and demographics in registration.
- Is able to do all adjustments correctly.
- Must be able to answer billing questions correctly and make own sound decisions.
Other Duties assigned But Not Limited To:
- Help out Front Desk when called upon.
- Check insurance eligibility
- Check for authorizations for procedures
- Collect past due balances from patients
- Make payment plans when needed.
- Charge entry
- Payment posting