Job Summary: This individual is responsible for assisting the front desk by greeting patients, verifying their demographic and insurance information, answering telephones, checking-in/out all patients, and collecting payments. This individual must enjoy the customer service portion of their position.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Empathetic personality and attention to patient’s needs
- Management of multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Strong organization with attention to detail
- Honesty, integrity and accuracy
- Uses interpersonal skills effectively to build and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Works and communicates in a positive and cooperative manner with management and supervisory staff, medical staff, coworkers, and other healthcare personnel, and patients and their families when providing information and services, seeking assistance and clarification, and resolving problems.
- Contributes to team efforts.
- Carries out assignments responsibly.
- Participates in a positive and cooperative manner during staff meetings.
- Handles difficult and sensitive situations tactfully.
- Responds well to supervision.
- Shares information with coworkers.
- Assists with training of new employees as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities – Front Desk Receptionist
- Greets patients
- Individual must be able to communicate with patients in a professional and courteous manner
- Verifies patient demographic information
- Verifies insurance, scans all insurance cards, and makes copies of any insurance cards that have changed since past visit
- Must have working knowledge of the insurance card presented at check-in
- Answers multi-line telephone system, takes accurate messages, and transfers telephone calls to appropriate person in an efficient manner
- Schedules, cancels, and re-schedules appointments as necessary
- Identifies emergency calls and schedules appropriately
- Checks-out all patients
- Schedules return appointments for follow-up as necessary
- Collects fees for services
- Posts charges and payments to computer
- Compiles new patient packets
- Totals and balances cash drawers
- Balances against totals generated by the financial module in the computer
- Prepares daily deposit
- Ensure the confidentiality of medical records and patient account information
- Adhere to all policies and procedures as outlined by Ophthalmic Surgeons and Consultants
- Attend training meetings as requested
Other duties as required.