Horizon Eye Care is a 21 doctor multi-specialty ophthalmology practice with six offices in the greater Charlotte metropolitan area. We provide full service medical and surgical care including routine eye care, retina, glaucoma, oculoplastics, pediatrics and corneal services. We are also the premier destination for optical and contact lens service.
As the DIRECTOR OF CLINICAL SERVICES, you will be responsible for the operations of the Clinical Services, Lasik, Special Testing, and Surgery Scheduling Departments at all Horizon locations as well as the Medical Records Department in the main location. This position is part of Horizon’s Senior Management Team and includes responsibilities that contribute to the success of the entire organization such as staff development, close collaboration with the physicians and other managers to achieve company goals, and process improvement initiative to support the patient experience and enhance efficiencies.
The essential functions of this position:
- Oversee the operations of the Clinical Services, Lasik, Special Testing, and Surgery Scheduling Departments. Mentor managers and supervises clinical technicians.
- Create standardized workflows and procedures by collaborating with physicians and staff and perform regular audits for sustainability.
- Collect, analyze, and summarize data in clinical areas to aid in identifying areas for improvement.
- Ensure certification for all technicians and surgery coordinators.
- Respond to patient calls, letters, and other correspondence in timely manner.
- Ensure clinical staff is adequately trained, facilitate learning opportunities within the clinic and coordinate outside continuing education opportunities.
- Develop performance standards for clinical staff and complete regular performance evaluations.
- Create, update, and implement clinical procedures. Commit to a focus on continuous improvement of current workflow processes and procedures, develop additional efficient and cost-effective operational workflows where necessary.
- Cooperatively monitor staff and physician documentation and coding for insurance and compliance with billing department.
- Understand clinical operations with regard to the NextGen EHR system and serve as a back-up to the NextGen Specialist to answer questions and solve problems as needed.
- Understand the work flow of the clinic in each designated department and serve as a technician when staffing shortages occur.
- Work directly with the physicians to manage scheduling templates and ensure adequate clinical staffing ratio for physician patient volume.
- Oversee special testing templates and make necessary adjustments when needed
- Address clinical concerns of all physicians.
- Responsible for daily communication with Director of Patient Services to ensure smooth and continuous flow of patients from check-in to the clinical teams.
- Act as liaison between clinical managers, department managers, administration and physicians, resolving operational issues in a timely manner.
- Work with Professional Relations employee to resolve issues that arise or are brought to Horizon’s attention from referral sources.
- Remain up to date on medical coding, create policies and protocols to address changes and disseminate new information to physicians and staff.
The qualifications for this position are:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- JCAHPO Certification at the COT or COMT Level
- Minimum of 8 years of ophthalmic experience at the COT level or higher
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience
- Prior experience with NextGen EHR preferred
- A commitment to quality patient care