OPENING FOR A CHIEF OPHTHALMIC TECHNOLOGIST AT DAVIE MEDICAL CENTER - OPHTHALMOLOGY
SUPERVISOR TITLE(S): NURSING MANAGER
POSITION SUMMARY: Under supervision of the Chair and Nurse Manager, provide all skill set training and quality control monitoring of the technical staff including COMTs, COTs, COAs, Non-certified Ophthalmic Assistants, ERG Technicians, and Visual Field Technicians. This includes assessment, instruction, and monitoring of skill set for new hires as well as ongoing skill set training for all technical staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform initial and annual skills evaluation and subsequent training to technical staff to improve skills and knowledge.
2. Consult with Nurse Manager and Administrator to ascertain and establish goals and objectives for ophthalmic technical support personnel; to include the development, implementation, and enforcement of rules, policies, and procedures.
3. Serve on Section committees as directed by Section Chairman or Business Administrator.
4 .Coordinate QA/QI review and prepare quarterly reports.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
1. Perform bi-annual QA/QI review of clinical records
2. Assist with minor or major outpatient ophthalmic procedures, as needed.
3. Ability to properly operate and instruct others in the use of common non-automated and automated ophthalmic
equipment including A-Scan Biometry.
4. Ability to operate computers
5. Knowledge of ophthalmic and general medical terminology.
6. Measure the axial length with an A-scan and determine the appropriate power of intraocular lens implantation.
7. Performs duties of an Ophthalmic Technologist as required.
8. Participate in and assist with coordination of clinical trials.
This position assesses and maintains required skill sets for fifteen to twenty employees in the Department of Ophthalmology. Responsibilities include assessment and training of technical employees, planning, assigning, and directing experiential work; appraising performance.
Minimum 6 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, with JCAHPO Certification as an Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (required minimum of five years experience with an ophthalmologist as part of certification as an Ophthalmic Technologist).